Thursday 25 December 2008

An Interview with Paul McShane


I interviewed Paul McShane today for the radio show. It will go out this Sunday between 3-5 on http://www.westlimerick102.ie/. Paul is a pretty interesting character and it's a testimony of his determination and character that he has at this stage become an established premier league player. Hull were 2-0 to the good when he went off against Liverpool and Phil Brown blamed Paul's early substitution due to concussion for only coming away with a draw.

As he said "I just couldn't see a thing, everything was just a blur". I told Paul I thought it would take a lot for him to come off at Anfield and he said "I didn't want to come off at all but I thought I should at least tell the bench I couldn't see and they made the decision".

He attributes Hull success this season to their team spirit and the organisation Phil Brown brings to the team. In that respect Paul says that Phil's style is quite similar to Trappatoni's for Ireland. He loves coming over to work with Trap and sounded very determined to qualify for the World Cup. He even suggested we might finish ahead of the Italians saying we had a game in hand over them.

I asked him what kind of a character Roy Keane was. Keane of course signed Paul from West Brom at the start of last season. Paul didn't divulge too much "I'm not going to talk about Roy Keane. Roy Keane is a good man, he did a good job and that's the end of it". I only wanted to find out what Roy was like in person and on that point Paul simply said that what you see is what you get.

I thought Paul might be able to convince Stephen Ireland to return to the Irish set up when they play Man City on St. Stephen's Day. Paul said he was great friends with Stephen (and still is) when he was part of the squad having played with him all the way through with the Irish underage teams. Paul told me he'd try to get him back and if he doesn't he'll stick the foot into him during the match!

Paul would like to make the move to Hull permanent but he says the ball is very much in Sunderland's court. He is due back at the Stadium of Light in January but he hasn't heard anything yet so he just going to keep focused on the next game. He struck as the kind of guy who is just happy to be playing regularly in a winning team. Sounds like a pretty good time to me.

No comments: