Saturday 9 May 2009

Limerick FC vs Finn Harps Preview.

I'm heading to Jackman tonight with a certain amount of trepidation. There are many causes for my anxiety. Firstly Pat Scully may well be out to bust my head after accusing Limerick of being a long ball team, secondly I fear having to watch another 90 minute bore fest like the Waterford match and finally I am bringing my girlfriend along. She says she enjoys going to matches but she doesn't doesn't like watching soccer on TV.

However I think when she said she enjoyed going to matches, she was talking more about big games in Croke Park with 80,000 people and having a great day out. I'm not sure if the Jackman Park experience is quite what she has in mind. I tried to warn her: "You'll be the only girl there, Limerick are shit (no offence to the players but she won't even watch the Premier League. She claims it's boring)" but it has had no effect. She is going reluctantly I might add. After some discussions wherein I held my ground valiantly so that men everywhere can continue to go to live football matches on Friday nights, she agreed to come along as an alternative to waiting for me to come back.

There is cause for optimism though. Limerick got a great point against Sport Fingal last Friday night and there is no questioning the commitment or spirit of the team. Finn Harps are struggling this season and having struggled with financial difficulties off the pitch in the Premier League last season, they are struggling to adjust to life in the First Division. The troubles at Finn Harps could well be our saving grace because even if we play badly again, the clubs respective league positions would suggest that it is still a game Limerick should be able to win especially at home.

It will be a test for the Super Blues though because Harps will be happy to let Limerick take the initiative and the ball for the most part. It will be up to Limerick to break down what I'm sure will be a stout defence happy to leave with a clean sheet. Limerick too well be well organised but the question is whether we will have the ingenuity and the craft to breakdown a team like Harps who will keep plenty men behind the ball.

Conor Gethins is Finn Harps top scorer this season with 5 goals already. He is a player with Premier League quality and he will be quick to punish Limerick if they are caught out on the break. Another reason I'm hoping tonight's performance will be better than the Waterford game is the return to full fitness of John Tierney and Paul Cummins. Cummins started the season well before picking up an injury while Tierney was arguably the club's most potent forward last term.

A lot will depend on the sharpness of these two players and with Limerick almost back to full strength tonight, there can be no excuses.

No comments: